Re-opening Procedures May 24, 2020
DAWSON BAPTIST CHURCH Reopening Plan
Recently I met with Scott, Harrison, and the deacons to map out how we can reopen the church in a way that follows the current social distancing guidelines to reduce the risk of meeting together. As you know, on the advice of the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and governor Andy Beshear, we have refrained from having any public gatherings as a church since late March in hopes of slowing the spread of COVID-19. Now that restrictions are being relaxed, we are planning to reopen Sunday, May 24, for morning worship only and at our usual 11:00 AM start time. We will not have Sunday School at this time since the governing authorities would still like us to remain six feet apart from those who are not members of our immediate family; it would be impossible to do that in our Sunday School rooms.
I believe it is also vital to understand that since there is no vaccine for the coronavirus yet, there is a level of risk involved in getting together. Nevertheless, since restrictions are being lifted in the commonwealth and neighboring states, coupled with the command of Scripture for us not to neglect to meet together (Hebrews 10:25), we should reopen. That said, you may choose to wait a few weeks because your health or age puts you in a higher risk category, and that is okay. The church will continue to provide the online options as we have been providing and hope these are helpful until you feel safe to return to gather for worship. If you choose to attend May 24, we suggest that you do the following before attending:
- Take your temperature before coming and do not participate if your temperature is 100.5 or above.
- Please use the restroom before you come because restrooms will have to be cleaned after each use.
- Consider wearing a facemask (this is not required but recommended by the governing authorities).
- Bring an umbrella in case of rain because everyone will be entering through the main entrance (the two front doors between the pillars), and it may take a bit longer because of the social distancing requirement.
Here’s what you can expect as you arrive:
- A deacon will greet you in the parking lot and direct you to the front entrance of the church (this will be the only door open).
- Upon entering, you will be escorted by another deacon to your seat. We have mapped out the sanctuary to comply with the six feet requirement; therefore, you will not be allowed to choose your seat. (We deeply regret this, but it is the only way to comply with the social distancing guideline).
- Once seated, you will notice the absence of hymnals and pew Bibles. These will be removed only until more restrictions are lifted. Since everything that is touched has to be cleaned, this will significantly reduce the amount of cleaning that will need to be done.
- We will not provide bulletins to reduce the risk of virus spread. We will post announcements on the television monitors, so you may want to bring a notepad and a pen to write information down.
- The nursery will not be available until further notice (but you may bring children if you feel it is safe to do so).
- Please refrain from shaking hands, hugging, or anything that violates the six feet social distancing guideline.
- Please remain seated at the end of the service until a deacon comes to escort you and your family from the building.
- We will not pass the offering plates during the service but will have offering plates on a table in the foyer so that you can give as you leave the building.
- Most importantly, worship the Lord wholeheartedly and enjoy the fellowship of being in the presence of brothers and sisters in Christ once again.
I apologize for the restrictions, but out of respect for our governing authorities as well as from a love for others, we want to do everything we can to keep everyone healthy.
Thank you so much for your understanding.
Bro. Craig Bratcher