Bible Reading - Week 52
We close the year of reading through the Bible by hearing from the oldest of the original disciples, the beloved apostle John. As you read his letters and the book of Revelation, expect to have your vision of Christian living and your hope for the future encouraged and expanded.
VERSE OF THE WEEK
Revelation 22:17 Both the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” Let anyone who hears, say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come. Let the one who desires take the water of life freely.
DAY 1 1 John 1-5; 2 John; 3 John
- What can we expect if we confess our sins?
- Why did John write 1 John? You should find an answer in chapter 1, another in chapter 2, and yet another in chapter 5.
- How do we know that we know the Lord?
- How does John describe antichrists? What are some of their distinguishing marks?
- Why should we test the spirits?
- Why should we love one another?
- 1 John ends with a call to guard against idols. Which idols tempt you the most? How might you guard against them?
- How does 2 John define love?
- Take not of Diotrephes in 3 John and do not be like him! Instead, strive to emulate Demetrius.
DAY 2 Revelation 1-5
- Take courage in knowing that Revelation holds a blessing for you (1:3; see also 22:7).
- Look for the praise the Lord gives each church as well as the problem he has with them as you read chapters 2-3. Are there any that don’t get praise? Are there any with which he doesn’t point out a problem?
- In your own words, describe what John sees in chapters 4-5.
DAY 3 Revelation 6-10
- Out of all the dreadful things described in chapter 6, the most frightening of all is a person. Who is that person?
- Chapter 7 is strikingly different than chapter 6 because those in chapter 7 find protection from the person those in chapter 6 fear most. What blessings do those in chapter 7 receive?
- If you could only use one word to describe the events depicted in chapters 8-9, what word would you use?
- Why do you suppose the little scroll John eats in chapter 10 tastes sweet in his mouth but turns bitter in his stomach?
DAY 4 Revelation 11-13
- Summarize in your own words the ministry of the two witnesses.
- What happens after the seventh angel blows his trumpet?
- Who is the child of the woman clothed with the sun? Who is the dragon who yearns to devour her child?
- Why does the whole earth follow the beast and worship the dragon and the beast?
- As you read about the mark of the beast in chapter 13, keep in mind that God places a seal on the forehead of his servants in chapter 7.
DAY 5 Revelation 14-18
- Take careful note of what will happen to those who worship the beast.
- Who does John see standing on the sea of glass with harps from God?
- Take note in chapter 16 how it repeatedly says that the people experiencing God’s wrath blaspheme him. What does this say about human nature apart from God’s grace?
- What happens to Babylon in chapters 17-18?
DAY 6 Revelation 19-22
- Who is the rider on the white horse in chapter 19? How do you know?
- According to chapters 20-21, what happens to those whose names are not written in the book of life?
- Why is there no temple, sun, or moon in the holy city?
- Why is ending the Bible with a reminder that Jesus is returning soon a helpful way to end it?